Tuesday, June 7, 2011

How to become a NetSuite Guru

We've MOVED!!!! www.codeboxllc.com/ksc

This is just my opinion but I think I'm starting to see a pattern on how to to become true NetSuite Guru. I'm sure I have a right to say this since I have such knowledge and experience on working with NetSuite. (I'm being really sarcastic here. I don't have long years of experience and I am not a NetSuite Guru. It's my way of making a joke).

  1.  Read NetSuite documentation.
    I admit, I haven't read topic in NetSuite documentation. I get lost reading accounting and financing topics. I should have paid more attention in College. It really helps to know where to go for help. I see lot of people jumping the gun and asking people but if you  read the documentation answers are there. It also allows you the ability to find what you are looking for quickly.
  2. Expand your knowledge of relational database.
    You may disagree with me on this but I feel that it really helps if you have understanding in this area. Custom records is nothing but database tables. Creating and defining relationships between custom records and native records allows you to build better forms and business processes.
  3. Become an expert on HTML, CSS and JavaScript
    If you are doing any kind of customization, you need to know these three technologies. Form customizations, business process customizations and webstore customizations all depends on these three technologies and it will make your life easier as a developer.
  4. Know what is available out of the box as well as online public bundles.
    I think this goes with point #1. There are times when you get lost in joy and high of customizing NetSuite. However, beware of over customization. There are things that are readily available for you out of the box. You don't have to build something from ground up. There are also free bundles you can download and customize to your need.
  5. Understand the business needs.
    With NetSuite, I think it's very important that you understand organizational goal as well as each departments needs. NetSuite is just a tool.
  6. Atleast have an understanding of NetSuite process.
    You don't have to be an expert in project management or accounting or finance. As long as you understand how NetSuite processes them, you can build or configure based on expertise provided by your organizations' department experts.
  7. Study, Practice and Participate
    I've been hearing alot of negative feedback on NetSuite lately. and I have one thing to say to all Nay Sayers. No matter what cloud platforms you go with, if you don't take time to learn the product you are a lost cause. Always study up on features and unknown features of NetSuite, always practice different methodologies and always participate in user forums. 

No comments:

Post a Comment